John Crump Studentship (Final-stage PhD scholarship)
In memory of Professor John Crump, who was a Past-President of BAJS, and Senior Editor of Japan Forum, the Association is pleased to be able to offer financial support for postgraduate research students who are enrolled in a UK university research degree programme to assist during the final stages of the writing up period.
- You must be a postgraduate student registered at a UK university.
- You must be in the final stages of writing up your PhD dissertation.
- You must be a member of BAJS when you apply.
- Application for the John Crump Studentship is via the online application form.
- Once you have submitted your application online, you will be sent an acknowledgement email with a unique application reference number.
- Your nominated referee will also be sent an email with this reference number, asking them to respond to firstname.lastname@example.org with your reference by the application deadline.
- The application deadlines are 30 April and 31 October.
- Reference from academic supervisor.
- Applications must be received by BAJS by 30 April or by 31 October.
Please note, it is your responsibility to make sure that BAJS receives your reference, citing your application reference number, by the deadline.
- The maximum individual award is £3,000, but smaller amounts may be awarded.
- The academic supervisors of successful applicants will be notified in July (for April applications) or January (for October applications).
- Successful applicants will be expected to submit an article for consideration to Japan Forum within twelve months of completing their dissertations.
- Successful applicants will be expected to acknowledge the support of BAJS in their dissertations.